The history of Lear Corporation
Lear was founded in 1917 in Detroit, Michigan as American Metal Products, a manufacturer of tubular, welded and stamped assemblies for the automotive and aircraft industries. Since then, we have grown to meet the changing needs of the industry with 18 major acquisitions since Lear went public in 1994.
Today, we provide complete seating and electrical systems worldwide. With 2013 sales of $16.2 billion, Lear ranks #177 among the Fortune 500. Our world-class products are designed, engineered and manufactured by a diverse team of 132,000 employees in 238 locations. With headquarters located in Southfield, Michigan, Lear continues to operate facilities in 36 countries around the globe. Lear is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol [LEA].
Our success is a result of a strong commitment to provide the best possible service to the world's automakers by understanding our customers as well as the automotive consumer.