Lear Student Innovation Challenge Drive What’s Next
To help define the future of mobility, Lear is holding an Innovation Challenge, which will bring together students from different local universities, with varied disciplines, and at all education levels.
If selected, you will join an interdisciplinary team of engineers, business entrepreneurs, artists, and more from different universities for a tournament-style competition. Students from any university, in any discipline, may apply.
The competition kicks off with a two-day Innovation Jumpstart Workshop on February 9 and 10, 2019 in Southfield & Detroit, followed by a two-week incubation period, and ending with a group solution pitch on February 23 to Lear executives and subject matter experts. During the workshop, you will be provided with training from industry experts.
During the Jumpstart Workshop and Two-Week Sprint, you will:
- Be introduced to some of Lear’s innovation perspectives and techniques
- Participate in creating ideas for the future of mobility
- Practice sales and ‘pitching’ skills
- Have access to innovation coaches as well as Lear technology development experts
- Learn how to develop a solution to advance technology and manufacturing for a Fortune #148 company
- Have an exclusive tour of Lear’s Product and Technology Center
- Compete to work alongside Lear’s CTO, John Absmeier
- Best of all, be a part of what’s happening at LEAR!
Besides these amazing experiences, as a top performing participant, you earn prizes!
As a member of the winning team, you could be offered an opportunity to continue to incubate Lear innovation projects throughout the Summer as a Lear Innovation Intern!
Applicants should fill out the form. Apply by
11/30 at 7:00 pm.
Articles from past years:
- MTU Article: Michigan Tech Students Win Big at Lear Open Innovation Challenge
- UM Dearborn Article: Graduate student Jenelle Newman wins internship through teamwork and innovative thinking
- MTU Blog: Shawn Badanjek, Engineering Management & MIS, Wins Big at Lear Open Innovation Challenge with other Michigan Tech Students
- Michigan Radio: Lear Corp finds real solutions, more profits from unlikely source: undergraduate students
- WSU Article: WSU students excel at Lear Open Innovation Challenge
How to Apply
Be prepared to answer a few short questions to show who you are and provide a personal statement. You can also submit a creative video or other supplemental materials that highlight your strengths and your personality. Please do not post your resume.
- This a very competitive selection process. We’re looking for highly self-motivated students with a passion for innovation.
- The two-week sprint will be a lot of work, but highly rewarding. You must be willing to work for it. Even if you’re not part of the winning team, there is still a chance to be selected individually for internships and prizes.
- Don’t be discouraged if you’re not an engineer or in a field of business. We welcome all students from different fields of study, levels of education, and backgrounds to apply!
- Be yourself! There are no right or wrong answers, and there is not a specific background we’re looking for — you just have to want it!
Don’t wait! Apply by November 30 at 7:00 pm EST. Those selected to participate will be notified by December 19, 2018.
Please send any questions to our innovation team at email@example.com.